Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Oats

Psalm 25: 7
" Forget that I sowed wild oats; Mark me with your sign of love.  Plan only the best for me, God! " (MSG)


Well, I'm a day late and a dollar short...again.  The good news is I've been working on getting more organized.  I even got a new calendar. I know that once I'm there, it's going to be more time efficient. But, getting there is tough!  I'm still not finished organizing my pantry, or my desk area, although progress has been made. There are so many projects going on around here, it's sometimes overwhelming. God has a plan for me, so I'm not going to sweat the small stuff. I carry on day to day, looking forward; knowing that I've been marked by God. He doesn't care whether or not my pantry is color coded and alphabetized. I've been marked by a sign of love in God's calendar. His perfect, orderly design. Lord, keep me from trying to order my life in my way, lead me always in your ways.  Amen.

I've been going in so many different directions, it's hard to see what I have accomplished sometimes. But, I have gotten a few things done (and started), to help me sail through my weeks with ease.  First, I downloaded a Weekly Menu Planner, and have started to plan better meals. I needed to plan quick and healthy breakfasts and lunches now that the children are headed back to school.  Click on the link above to download yours.  I also got a new calendar.  It's bigger and better!  With my big family, I needed more space to keep track of everybody's schedules.

Picked up this great calendar/agenda at The Pink Silhouette!
So pretty!!

I want to share with you a great easy recipe for a granola that I put on my menu planner for breakfast this week.  My youngest has nut allergies and it's hard to find a "nut free" granola in the store (that's affordable!).  I got this recipe years ago from Southern Living. The recipe calls for nuts, but is easily adaptable.

Honey-Nut Snack Mix

Ingredients

4 cups toasted oat bran cereal
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine $
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar $
1/2 cup honey $
1 cup sweetened dried cranberries or raisins

Preparation

Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
Stir together butter, brown sugar, and honey in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture, stirring to coat. Spread in a single layer on an aluminum foil-lined 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
Bake at 325° for 20 minutes, stirring once. Stir in cranberries, and bake 5 more minutes. Spread immediately on wax paper; cool. Store snack mix in an airtight container.
NOTE: For testing purposes only, we used Quaker Oat Bran for toasted oat bran cereal.


AUGUST 2002

This granola makes a delicious snack and is even better on Greek yogurt drizzled with honey. Yummy!

I've marked in my calendar that this is going to be a terrific week! I pray yours is, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment