Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fat Tuesday!

Matthew 4: 2
" After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry."


Throw me some beads!... Lent begins tomorrow with the solemn Christian observance of Ash Wednesday which is the first day of the season of Lent. On Ash Wednesday, Christians around the world will begin to fast and reflect on Jesus' life, death, suffering and sacrifice on the cross, for 40 days until Easter Sunday.  But tonight, we feast!  And growing up in the Lutheran church, we feasted on pancakes.  It's a tradition that I have kept with my family all of these years. Tonight, I will pull out the bacon and pancake mix. Yummy! However, beginning tomorrow and throughout the Lenten season, we will try not to eat meat on Friday's (my husband grew up in the Catholic church so we try to keep this observance as well) .  Also, as a family we agree to give up something else, so that as we miss it throughout the Lenten season, we stop and think of our Lord. The process isn't about giving up, it's about looking up! However you choose to celebrate this season, I pray that your thoughts are always on Him. Amen.

Trailside Treat Baked Oatmeal

So, it's been particularly cold here, and there doesn't seem to be a warm day in sight! After a long President's Day weekend, the children are off yet another day because of the snow and cold.  We are having pancakes for dinner tonight, so it's not appropriate for me to make a big breakfast for the kiddos today. I made a great recipe I came across on Pinterest the other day. These are called Trailside Treat Baked Oatmeal .  I did have to modify the recipe for my 2 year old as she is allergic to peanut butter.  I used a smashed up banana to replace the peanut butter in the recipe and it was delicious!


One more thing... for every special occasion or holiday, I try to decorate my table accordingly. This is a picture that I borrowed from Pinterest on CatchMyParty (these are not my children!). I'm not going to tell you my table will look exactly like this, but pictures like this give me inspiration to find the things in my own home to make a special day more special. The traditional colors for Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday, are purple, green, and gold. Also, traditional decorations would be masks, gold coins and of course beads. I'm sure if I get my children involved, we can come up with all of these things and have a fun, festive evening!

Have fun, keep warm and get "Fat"!


No comments:

Post a Comment