Friday, January 30, 2015

"You a carrot"

Genesis 1: 29
 "Then God said, ' I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.' "


I love vegetables all kinds...even brusselsprouts.  Carrots are one of the first vegetables all of my children loved. Mostly just raw with lots of ranch dressing, but I was happy they were eating them.  I feel if you put vegetables on the side or in something you serve to your children, you're winning half the battle (I'll take it!).  For my youngest daughter, I've made it a tradition to make her a home-made carrot cake for special events like her birthdays and her dedication at church. I longed for my grandmother's recipe for a simple dense carrot cake, but my mother didn't have it.  So after perusing the internet, I found a similar cake in taste and texture. It's on the "Crisco" web-site.  Here's a link Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake.  I did eliminate a teaspoon of salt in the recipe, because the first time I made it, it seemed a bit salty (it was good, just not the taste I was going for).  I also, don't add the walnuts or raisins. Unfortunately, I know my kids would just pick them out anyway.  Since then my mom did get the recipe for my grandmother's cake from an old recipe box that my aunt had.  I haven't made it yet, but my mom made it for my father last fall and just this week again for my dad's 71st birthday,  Happy Birthday, Dad!!

Yesterday, I was driving around with my mother running errands. Frankie, my 2 yr old. was repeating everything my mother was saying. So, my mother told her she was a little parrot. Not to be outdone, Frankie mirrored back,  " You  a carrot" ...

 God, thank you for children...and vegetables too!


First birthday owl "smash" cake- Old-Fashioned Carrot Cake recipe.



Successful errand running yesterday. Found this turtleneck  at "Talbots" for $14! 

No comments:

Post a Comment