Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Shine!

Matthew 5:16
"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

One of the first songs my oldest daughter, Emily, learned was "This little light of mine". It was so precious to watch her standing as big and tall as she could to show me all of her hand gestures and vocal talents, belting out the familiar tune. "LET IT SHINE, LET IT SHINE, LET IT SHIIIINNNNEEE!!!". To this day Emily likes to be the center of attention, as she is an up and coming actress (she has a beautiful voice, too!). We are all given gifts that we are to use to glorify the Father. If you're not sure what specific gift you have, I encourage you to seek it. Ask your pastor, a good friend, and pray about it. You don't have to be in the spotlight to "Let it shine" but "let it shine, let it shine, let it shine" my friends!

While I'm sure that Jesus wasn't giving make-up tips on the Sermon on the Mount (yeah that's right, I'm going there!) using a little sparkle and shine to enhance our God given beauty isn't a bad thing. On a daily basis, I don't tend to wear a lot of make-up. If I do wear any, I don't generally use foundation. I use some concealer, a little blush or bronzer (depending on the time of year), and eye make-up. I always use an eye pencil and mascara. I'm fortunate that my daughter, Charlotte (she's 22 and is attending Univ. of MD) is a make-up aficionado! She helps keep me current. Here is a photo of the items that I am currently using.



If you're not sure about what make-up to use for you, ask a friend that you have admired, or go to a make-up counter in a department store for some advice. Usually you can get some tips for free. However, beware at the department store, they are trying to sell their products ( and that is their job, it's ok), so hold tight to your purse strings. While you certainly could purchase what they have, I have always found some great alternatives in my local drug or discount store (the elf concealer I picked up at Target for $1!).  I hope you find your "look" and take a moment or two today to Shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment