Friday, June 12, 2015

The eyes have it

Proverbs 20: 12
" Ears that hear and eyes that see- the Lord has made them both. "


When I was in 5th grade my eyesight failed quickly and it failed hard. Coke-bottle lenses all the way baby!  Fortunately for me a few years later, I was able to wear contact lenses for my myopia and have been ever since. Also,  my nearsightedness hasn't changed much. So as bad as it is, it's just consistently bad.  My SIL, Cindy, warned me several years ago that when I turned 40 to be prepared for my farsightedness to decline. I didn't think much of it at the time, but boy was she right on that one!  I think my hyperopia came on as quickly and as hard as my myopia. I have now strategically placed reading glasses all over my house and person. Luckily when I can't find a pair of them (which happens more often than not), I usually have a kid nearby that can read and I use one of them.  Thank you God for my big brown eyes. Give me vision to see what is good and right. Though my eyesight is failing, keep me always focused on You. Amen.

We went to a local Greek festival last Sunday. There were several vendors there selling popular Greek items.  I happen to be a little bit Greek, but sadly do not know anything about Greek culture.  A couple of vendors were selling jewelry and trinkets with a blue, white and black circular pattern.  These were called "Mati" jewelry. The "Mati" bead or bauble is to resemble an eye. The woman selling them called it the "envious"eye, but some people refer to it as the "evil" eye.  You are to wear or display this jewelry or charm to protect your loved-ones or home from people who would want to take them or who wouldn't want you to have the nice things or family you have. Often these charms are pinned to children's diapers or clothing to protect them. What a fun thing to learn. Now, of course, I have a new bracelet and so do 2 of my little girls (more fun!).

 A greek "Mati" or eye bead.
This image was found on Google Images .
Here's a pic of my cute bracelet.

My "Mati" bracelet is the one on top with the tassel.
If you don't own something with a tassel on it this season, go out and get something! Tassels are definitely in.
Find out something fun and new about your heritage this weekend. Make a traditional meal or just talk to a family member about what they know about your family's past. I'd love to hear from you if you've found out or tried something new. Please comment below.

I pray you have a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment