Monday, June 8, 2015

It's Greek to me


Daniel  11: 2
" 'Now then, I will tell you the truth: Three more kings will also arise in Persia, and then a fourth, who will be far richer than all the others. When he has gained power by his wealth, he will stir up everyone against the kingdom of Greece.'  "


I'm glad Daniel did not interpret my dreams for me. Not that he always told of doom and gloom, some things are just better not knowing. I'll put my trust in the Lord, thank you! My future (at least) is secure.  I'm going to keep today short and sweet.  I'm running late with my post today.  I'll be sharing more about my afternoon at the Greek Festival later in the week. Today, I'll talk about food: Greek food.

Oh my goodness, Greek food is amazing! My husband and my 3 youngest went to a local Greek Festival yesterday. What fun!  We sampled a bit of popular Greek cuisine.  We had Gyro, Spanakopita (spinach pie), Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves), Greek coffee and Baklava.  We also shared a Greek Salad. What could be easier to make than a great Greek Salad. So here you go. (Recipe found on about food)

INGREDIENTS
    Photo of Classic Greek Salad - Horiatiki Salata - Photo © Jim Stanfield
  • 4-5 large, ripe, tomatoes
  • 1 large red onion
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1/4 pound (113.5g) of Greek feta cheese, sliced or cumbled
  • dried Greek oregano (rigani)
  • sea salt
  • top quality extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 dozen Greek olives (Kalamata, green Cretan olives, etc.)
  • pickled pepperoncini hot peppers (garnish)
  • 1 tablespoon of water (optional)
PREPARATION
Wash and dry the tomatoes, cucumber, and green pepper. Clean off the outer skin from the onion, wash, and dry.
Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized irregularly shaped chunks, removing the core. Salt lightly. Slice the cucumber into 1/4-inch slices, cutting slices in half (whether or not you peel the cucumber is a personal choice). Salt lightly. Slice the pepper into rings,removing the stem and seeds. Salt lightly.
Limited Time! Shop the 60% Off Summer Sale at Carters.com.
Slice the onion into thin rings.
Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper and onion in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with oregano, pour olive oil over the salad, and toss. Just before serving,place the feta on top of the salad, either as a slice or crumbled (as in photo), and toss in some olives. Sprinkle the cheese with oregano (and pepper if desired), mix the oil and water and drizzle over the top, and serve, garnished with hot peppers.
Yield: Serves 4-6

I looked through several recipes on-line and this was by far the most similar to the salad we had yesterday. We enjoyed another nice salad and some crusty bread with olive oil for dipping, later in the evening at home. What a simple and healthy meal. 
Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment