Monday, July 20, 2015

Lemons

Luke 6: 43
"No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. "


This reminds me of Glinda's question to Dorothy in Munchkinland, " Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?".  Well, are you a good tree, or a bad tree?  Do you bear good fruit, or bad fruit?  I wanna be a good tree.  When my youngest son was about 3 years old, he would get himself into trouble (a lot!) and have to sit on the "naughty step".  I remember him crying,  "I wanna be a good boy!".  Whew, thank you, Lord.  I want him to be a good boy, too! And that's the wonderful thing.  God equips us with all that we need to be a good tree and to bear good fruit.  In Galatians 5: 22-23 we are told that "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control." . I pray today, that we seek with all of our hearts, God's plan to grow us strong in faith and character as a mighty tree. I pray to be strongly rooted in His truth and word, and to bear the beauty of His good fruits to share with those around us, so they, too, grow and share along with us. Amen.

When life gives you lemons...make lemon squares!  I am thinking about Lemon Squares today, because today is my Godmother/Aunt's birthday and she loves my Lemon Squares (so does my Emily and she had a birthday on Saturday). And, I think lemons, are a good fruit! So, today I'm going to share my favorite recipe with you.


Lemon Squares- Candy Wisman
(Springdale's Favorite Recipes-1976)

Bottom Layer:
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar (+ 3 Tbsp powdered sugar for later)

Mix these ingredients together and pat into a 9x9 inch square pan.  Bake at 350* for 15 minutes.

Top Layer:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 beaten eggs
4 Tbsp lemon juice

Combine ingredients and pour over bottom layer.  Bake at 350* for 25 minutes and while warm, sprinkle 3 Tbsp of powdered sugar over the top.

Cool and enjoy.  Serve with sweet tea or iced coffee out on your porch or patio. There's nothing better for a refreshing summer dessert!

I pray your week is a good one, not a bad one!


No comments:

Post a Comment