Friday, October 23, 2015

Trick or treat?

Genesis 27: 12
" 'What if my father touches me? I would appear to be tricking him and would bring down a curse on myself rather than a blessing.' "


I think this is the first Biblical evidence of a costume. Jacob is speaking to his mother, Rebecca, about tricking his father into giving him "the blessing". In order to get this blessing, Jacob has to appear to be his twin brother Esau, who happens to be a big hairy man. In order to fool his father, Isaac (who is old and blind), Jacob has to wear Esau's smelly clothes and goat skin on his hands and neck. Esau must have been some hairy guy! Well, it works!! Isaac is tricked into thinking that Jacob is Esau, and Jacob receives his father's blessing (which basically gives Jacob his father's inheritance and position). Let me tell you, Esau was not happy! Lord, I thank you that we don't have to pretend to be someone else to receive your blessings. There is no tricking you, Lord. You love me just as I am. Amen.

So I'm thinking Halloween costumes today. Our entire family has been invited to a party and now I have to think of costume ideas for my husband and me. UUUGH! My teenage son needs one too (I'm hopeful he's thinking about that for himself). So I've been perusing the internet for ideas. When you don't have a budget or a lot of time it has to be super easy. Here's are a link that I found with some clever and easy costume ideas.

Click here to go to thedatingdivas.com. 
I've also toyed with the idea of  wearing my tried but true blue, police costume. Here's a pic from a Halloween past.

My husband could wear an orange shirt with a number on it and voila!, done.
 At least I have an entire week to pull this together. I'm sure whatever we decide we'll have fun. 

I pray you have a weekend full of treats!

No comments:

Post a Comment