Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Walking and jumping

Acts 3: 8
" He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping and praising God. "


This verse has never held such meaning for me until this past week.  Last Monday evening, my 2 year old started to complain about her knee hurting and refused to walk or dance because it hurt too much.  Fearing a break or a sprain when she showed no signs of improvement, we took her to a local express care facility the next afternoon.  By Wednesday afternoon, after a visit to her pediatrician, we were on our way to the ER, and a short time later being transported by ambulance to another ER where they were better equipped to treat pediatric patients. We were told that she may have septic arthritis and to prepare ourselves for surgery.  Believe me, there was a lot of prayer going on! My brave little girl had to endure more pain and discomfort than some adults could endure. There were many blood tests, IV's, monitors, and finally they aspirated her knee to test the fluid. Thankfully they determined that she wouldn't require surgery right away, if at all, but we were to stay in the hospital for a couple of days to determine what was going on. I'd love to tell you, they figured it out and everything is just fine now. Unfortunately, things aren't always as simple as we'd like them to be. We don't have a diagnosis yet. We were released from the hospital on Friday due to some more positive test results, but with follow-up visits scheduled with orthopedists, rheumatologists and her pediatrician.

What this experience has taught me, is that we just don't have control. Our worry and stress is because we can't get the answers or the outcome that we want, or need.  And that's where faith steps in.  Through my tears of frustration and fear for my baby, I had the knowledge that she was in God's hands. That God had control of the whole situation, and that whatever the outcome, He would be right there with me holding me, too. He heard every prayer, every plea. He saw every tear. I couldn't have made it through the last week without my God.

As of last evening, literally one week to the hour from the time my little girl couldn't walk, she was still unable to walk....
until 2 hours later!! Just like in the verse above, as quickly as the onset of this mysterious illness began, my baby walked and jumped and danced! Praise God! We still have doctor appointments and more than likely, therapy (and even test results pending), but, I am so relieved and full of hope. This morning she has not yet felt comfortable enough to walk, but I know with time and motivation (she's just like her mother!), she'll be walking, jumping and dancing again! God is good!!!

Here's my brave girl in the hospital last week. Even though she went through quite an ordeal physically, her attitude remained positive. She enjoyed her music, coloring, blocks and lots and lots of the Disney Channel!

I pray that your day is full jumping and leaping and praising God!

No comments:

Post a Comment