Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Apples

Song of Solomon 2: 5
" Strengthen me with raisins, refresh me with apples, for I am faint with love. "


Well, we're out of raisins, but by the end of the day, we should be stocked with apples. I'm taking the children to an apple orchard today.  I have told you how blessed we are to live so close to farm country, and this is precisely the reason why. I love to purchase fresh produce straight from the source. Not only will the apples be straight from the source, but right off the tree. The farm/orchard I have chosen, allows you pick your own apples. I can't wait!  I thought I'd share an easy applesauce recipe today in honor of our day at the orchard.

One of my favorite artist/authors Susan Branch!

Here is Susan Branch's recipe for applesauce that I have used for years from her book Heart of the Home. It's so simple and so good!

Applesauce
(makes 4 cups)

You'll need:
4 med. tart apples, peeled, cored and quartered
1 c. of water
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbsp. butter
3/4 c. chopped walnuts (opt.)
1/2 c. raisins, golden kind (opt.)
1/3 c. coconut (opt.)

Put the apples and water in a pot and heat over medium heat until boiling.  Reduce to simmer and stir occasionally for 5 to 10 minutes until apples are tender.  Add all the other ingredients and heat through until raisins are plumped.  


I hope you give this recipe a try and on this first day of  Fall 2015, you begin to enjoy all that this new season has to offer. Susan Branch has been inspiring me since the 1980's in my homemaking and in my cooking. 
She has many inspirational books for holiday and home. (Click on the link and take a look!)

I pray this new season brings you abundance and joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment