Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Derby Dinner

Luke 14: 16
" Jesus replied: ' A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. ' "


This is the beginning of the parable of the Great Banquet in the book of Luke. Jesus taught others with stories of things they could relate to. I'll be honest, I have a hard time understanding some of the parables without a pastor, priest, or Biblical scholar to explain them to me. God still teaches us lessons these days, too. He does it through stories and conversations that are shared among friends at Bible study, a sermon that really hits home, or even a facebook or blog post from another follower of Christ. I just read two great ones this morning. There are so many ways you can hear the word of God, you just have to be willing to listen! Thank you, Lord, for your word and for those you have given to us to spread your truth so that we may know your ways and your will. Amen.

I feel like every meal I make in this house is a banquet. I am cooking for the masses here! I do enjoy making my family a nice meal and for the fellowship it brings around our dinner table (some nights when the kids are bickering, not so much...). Last Saturday, I feel like I made a good meal. It was southern inspired for our Kentucky Derby themed evening. Here's what I made...


Derby Dinner Menu

Virgin Mint Juleps
Honey Glazed Ham- (I bought a spiral cut ham at the grocery store and added the glaze packet)
Two-Cheese Grits
Pea Salad- (Yes, this is Pioneer Woman...again!)
Buttermilk Biscuits- (I was pressed for time, I have to confess I bought a can of biscuits!)
Triple Chocolate Pie
I love this easy Kraft recipe.
Traditionally, Derby-Pie would be chocolate and nuts, however my little one has a nut allergy.
This pie was definitely in the winners circle with my family!!

The menu above is filled with highlighted links. Please click on them for the recipes. The Preakness is coming up in about two weeks. I will not be cooking that day, but you know I love a good theme, so I'm going to come up with Maryland inspired menu and decor for that day too. 

I pray you have a blessed day!



No comments:

Post a Comment