Tuesday, December 15, 2015

buon Natale

Isaiah 9: 6
" For unto us a Child is born, unto us a son is given; and the Government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. " (NKJV)


Christmas is full of tradition. At my house, we have a traditional meal that brings back special memories for my husband.  He grew up in a very traditional, large Italian family. Part of an early memory of Christmas for him was when his "Big Nana" would come down from New Jersey to spend Christmas with his family. She and his mother ("Little Nana") would make ravioli for their Christmas meal (among other things). Of course, this was all made by hand. Even though I have never made pasta by hand, I do try to honor the ravioli tradition. I buy the best ravioli I can find ( The Italian Market) and I make my own pasta sauce. We also have added some new Italian traditions of our own. We buy a traditional Italian bread called Panatone, and the girls and I make some great cookies called Angelettis. They are so good I don't know why I only make them once a year??

Here is the recipe I use for the Angeletti cookies. I saw it on the Martha Stewart Show years ago.

Angelettis
Click here for link- Angelettis
I have not baked them with the anise (which would be more traditional), I use the vanilla extract. They are delicious, or should I say. "Deliziosi "!! (especially with my morning coffee, OMG!!!)

I pray today, as we get closer and closer (and closer, and closer!), to Christmas that you take the time to consider and be thankful for the traditions that have been handed down over the years from your family and friends. I also pray, that you take some time to enjoy them and not allow them cause you stress or anxiety if you don't get to do them this year. After all, Christmas traditions can be wonderful, but the greatest gift of all was handed down through the lineage of David and born in a stable in Bethlehem. "Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace"!


No comments:

Post a Comment